Friday, April 4, 2008

Part III - Is Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Thin' a SCAM?

Moving on to the next step…

Step 2 – Eat What You Want, Not What You Think You Should

Paul McKenna states that you should throw out all the things you don’t like to eat (including the healthy foods like fruits and vegetables), and eat only the things that you like. He reasons that by blacklisting bad foods, you naturally increase your desire for them (we want most what we can’t have).

Rylan’s Verdict:

Flawed! While I wholeheartedly agree that by restricting certain foods you are more likely to want them, I follow exactly the opposite approach as Mr. McKenna. He goes into client’s homes and tosses all the foods they don’t like (which are usually quite healthy). When I go into my client’s homes, I toss the foods that are making them fat – the complete opposite approach.

While I never expect my client to eat something they hate, I also don’t want them to keep eating the things that are making them fat and unhealthy.

Let’s face it, willpower is not something many people have, and with my approach you simply eliminate the temptation. With McKenna’s approach, you eat the temptation.

The problem with only eating what you really want is that many of the foods that people are eating on a regular basis - they have become addicted to. People crave them because their body is going through ‘withdrawal’ like symptoms. It’s no different than an alcoholic craving booze, or a nicotine addict craving a cigarette.

Many of the foods that people love are also very hazardous to their health; things like trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. Ever try to have just one bite of chocolate? Once that sugar hits your lips it’s like a hungry lion on a wounded gazelle; you’ll keep eating until every bit is devoured. That, my friend, is not a healthy reaction.

In my line of work, I’ve met many people would simply live on hot dogs, cola, and potato chips if they could. Regardless of how much or how little you eat of these things, your still putting garbage into your system, and I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase, garbage it-garbage out.

This rings true here as well. You might lose a little weight because you are reducing the total number of calories you consume, but you aren’t going to be feeling or performing your best.

However, if you are able to eliminate the offending foods from your diet for long enough, you can regain your natural taste for good, healthy food. This is something you can’t hope to do while you are flooding your system with white flour, sugar, and alcohol.

So for Mr. McKenna’s second step “Eat What You Want, Not What You Think You Should” I think you are much better off eliminating the temptations, and making some healthier choices.

RD

0 comments: